We’re not always filled to the brim with belief. In fact, many times we descend into a big pile of messy doubt.
- Doubt about whether we’re good enough.
- Doubt about whether we have what it takes to succeed.
- Doubt about whether the money will ever start rolling in.
- Doubt about our right to shine a light on our genius and change the world.
- Doubt about whether we have something important to say. Whether we even want to DO this.
- Doubt about whether we even HAVE a big mission.
And doubt starts the rain of crappy thoughts “maybe I should look for a job”, “no one cares about what I have so say”, “I’m never going to be successful”.
Doubt is a sneaky bugger who will take the wind out of your sails and make your boat stop cold in the middle of the lake – and you’re there wondering what the heck to do about it.
Well, good thing I’m here to rescue you from the depths of doubt so that you can get back to rocking and rolling in your business and your life.
What the heck is doubt?
- Doubt is just a type of resistance
- Doubt is a feeling of deprivation
- Doubt is a fear that you’re not enough.
- Doubt is a choice.
- Doubt is a way we self-sabotage
- Doubt is a success killer
- Doubt is the gateway drug to avoidance, denial, procrastination, and excuses
- Doubt makes you look for problems that aren’t there
Doubt is the expression of your fear that you’re not enough.
I know, you’re sitting there saying “but I’m a really confident person!”
But let’s be real here. You can be a super confident badass and still feel like there’s a dumpster of doubt dumping down on you at every opportunity.
Doubt is a way that we self-sabotage.
And doubt is a choice.
“Say what? Dr. Ash that CANNOT be true!”.
Well, it is.
Imagine that there are two rivers. One is belief. And the other is doubt.
When you’re in the stream of belief you feel powerful, magical, expressive, and grounded. You’re passionate about your mission and are able to take daily massive action toward making that vision a reality.
Doubt, on the other hand, is a stream of crap. When you experience doubt you start self-sabotaging. You stop doing the things you know you need to do in your business. And this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You stop being visible. You stop owning your worth. You stop speaking to the real nuts and bolts of what your clients need to know. And your bank account reflects it. And you take this as evidence that “I can’t do this”. And you, well, keep sitting there spinning in doubt.
Doubt can even make you quit all together.
Doubt is like a succubus that will entirely take over your life and drive your business into the ground if you let it.
You cannot succeed if you’re mired in doubt. Period.
You’ll find all the seemingly logical reasons why your doubt is right. Why your doubts are representative of a giant problem you have to solve.
But this is the exact WRONG strategy!
How to Shift from Doubt to Belief:
- Own the doubt. Own that being doubtful is a choice and that you can shift out of it any time you want to. This ownership over your doubt might feel scary. Especially if you’re used to blaming everyone and everything else for your doubt. But only when you take deep responsibility for the doubt can you shift it.
- Stop feeding doubt. This takes some major mindset and emotional resilience skills. But you must become like a hawk with your thoughts. Whenever you feel yourself slipping into those old doubt thoughts, shift them. Even if you can’t shift them straight to belief, shift them to something neutral or that feels good.
- Silence the inner asshole. We all have an inner saboteur that will say the nastiest things to us. When you really get honest with yourself you’ll see that you have said some of the most heinous things to yourself imaginable. Things that you wouldn’t say to your worst enemy, let alone your grandma. You’re not one to stand for bullies. So why are you standing by and letting this inner bully ruin your momentum and suck your passion down the drain?
- Stop being a victim to doubt. When you’re in doubt, you’re in victim mode. You’re seeing yourself as someone who is controlled by an external force rather than someone who is in charge of everything that happens within her. When you take complete ownership over the doubt (see point #1) you stop being a victim to doubt. And guess what happens next? You become EMPOWERED to move toward belief.
- Fill your cup. Self-care is such an cliché term. But it’s important here. When you feel nurtured you are enacting the exact opposite of the self-deprivation that doubt creates. So when you feel fully supported and nurtured you’ll much more easily come around to belief.
- Fuel the rocket of belief. This can look like any number of things. Daily affirmations. Visualizing success. Praying and asking to be filled with belief. Making an evidence list of all the reasons you belief in yourself and your big mission. Get more sleep, eat well, and ask for support. Doubt is more likely to slip in when you feel tired, hungry, or sick.
- Stop looking for problems. One of the biggest problems I see with entrepreneurs is that they look for problems when there are none. Constantly looking for problems is a sure way to squash passion and desire in your business. It’s a way that you nit-pick yourself. And it’s a sure symptom of perfectionism.
- Ask better questions. The subconscious will always come back with a problem if you ask it “what’s my problem”. So start asking yourself better questions such as “how can I feel filled with belief?” The subconscious mind will then come back with an answer to that question instead!
- Get vigilant about who you spend time with. Many times doubt is fueled by other people in our environment who don’t understand our journey. Other people’s fears and doubts can be an insidious poison to our own belief. So silence the peanut gallery. Talk to important others in your life and set boundaries that make it clear that you are not open to hearing their doubts and fears. Leave relationships that fill you with doubt and fear.
- Put on blinders. So that coach you love just went out of business and you’re now shaking in your boots with doubts. Another coach is making near to 7-figures and that fills you with the feeling that “I can’t do that”. So what do you do? STOP PAYING ATTENTION. Put your eyes on your own paper, on your own mission, and stop paying attention to what other people are doing.
- Align with belief. Work on elevating your vibration however you can. Dance. Sing. Talk to others who believe in you. Meditate. Work on your vibration until you feel that belief is your birthright.
- Stop Underestimating Yourself. You can go higher! I know you can. Many people do! So go get a coach or a mastermind group. Have someone in your corner who believes in you and your big vision whole heartedly. Someone who can hold onto belief for you when you lose track of it. Someone who inspires you to aim higher and helps you reach it. Someone who helps you identify the things which get in the way of belief so that you can move through them and re-engage with belief!
- Get into your heart. The mind is the servant of the heart. Yet we’ve all been taught that the mind is in charge. The mind is where doubt, fear, and worry come from. Your heart knows that it’s all a LIE and that your truth is that you are divine.
- Make space for the wobbles. Everyone gets a little wobbly now and then. The key is to not feel guilt or shame about it. Allow yourself the space to feel all of your feelings and then move through them.
- Do the work. Doubt will give you ever reason imaginable to go do something else, anything else. Sitting down and taking action is the most powerful thing you can do to confront and move through doubt. Sit down and do the work. Don’t think about it. Just do it. Even if it’s imperfect. Even if you feel silly. No matter what – sit down every day and DO THE WORK.
My webinar on Increasing Your Impact, Your Power, and Your Wealth by Moving through Resistance.
- Doubt is a type of resistance. And I KNOW that this webinar will be super powerful for you and help you shift back into belief if you’re feeling a bit wobbly.Check it out here for FREE and get INSTANT access: www.ashleegreer.com/webinar-opt-in